[StBernard] Governor responds to Judge Engelhardt's ruling

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 15 01:54:40 EDT 2006

Governor responds to Judge Engelhardt's ruling

"I am encouraged and pleased that Judge Englehart has found that the State has 'a substantial likelihood of success on the merits' of this case.

"While I fought to secure a preliminary injunction to block the August 16 lease sale, I am pleased that the Judge has set this matter for an expedited trial. Clearly, he understands the urgency of this case and the merits of our claim.

"The Judge agreed that an adequate environmental assessment was not done. We certainly concur.

"Louisiana's coast is in a state of crisis. I will keep fighting to ensure that the federal government takes into account the devastating changes in our coastal landscape as a result of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

"The Federal government must not turn its back on its number one energy partner. This case goes to the heart of our country's need to protect its most vulnerable energy assets.

"Protecting Louisiana's coast is critical to our ability to fuel this nation.

"I stand by my objections to the August lease sale, and look forward to a trial on the merits.

"Whatever it takes, I will continue to fight so that Louisiana has a voice in its own destiny."

###

To view Judge Engelhardt's ruling, click on the following link:
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/MMSruling8.14.06.pdf <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/MMSruling8.14.06.pdf>

To view a summary of Judge Engelhardt's ruling, click the following link:
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/MMSrulingexcerpts8.14.06.pdf <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/MMSrulingexcerpts8.14.06.pdf>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org