[StBernard] Governor Blanco and the Nation's Governors Urge Congress to Maintain State Control of the National G

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 15 01:53:36 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco and the Nation's Governors Urge Congress to Maintain State Control of the National Guard

"Today I join all 50 of this nation's governors to urge Congress to oppose language in the National Defense Authorization Act (H.R. 5122) that would change the longstanding and effective relationship between a state and the National Guard. This language would give unnecessary authorization to the President to take control of a state's National Guard in case of 'a serious natural or manmade disaster, accident or catastrophe that occurs in the United States, its territories and possessions, or Puerto Rico.'

"This language violates states' rights and the ability of a governor to deploy the state's military assets in the event of an emergency. As I experienced in the aftermath of last year's hurricanes, my use of not only Louisiana's National Guard troops - but National Guard Troops from across the nation - was critical in providing essential law enforcement support for local entities. The National Guard is also well trained to interface with local first responders on the ground.

"The President has the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines at his disposal to deploy military assets to help a state in an emergency. These assets are well poised to complement the National Guard in the event that a Governor requests this assistance, as I did time and again after Katrina. A President does not need to usurp a Governor's authority as the Commander in Chief of the National Guard in order to provide federal assets.

"Federalization is not, never has been and neve! r should be a condition for getting help for federal troops when requested by a governor. Federalization of the National Guard would in no way guarantee additional Department of Defense troops, and indeed could even preclude the deployment of those forces. For example, National Guard troops could simply be placed under a federal commander without sending in the requested federal manpower.

"A governor must have immediate control of the National Guard to prepare for and respond to an event. For example, by the time federal troops arrived after Hurricane Katrina, the National Guard under my command had pulled 60,000 people off of roofs, and had almost finished evacuating the Superdome and the Convention Center.

"Louisiana's men and women who serve in the National Guard have proudly stepped up time and again in support of the United States' military efforts. However, when stationed in Louisiana, the state's Guard troops should be commanded by th! e Governor to protect our citizens.

"I stand unified with my fellow governors in urging Congress to reject this unnecessary language and leave this authority where it belongs. Our governors are best positioned to control their state's military resources. All Governors agree that in a time of crisis, the most valuable resource at any Governor's disposal is the National Guard. Don't take this tool from our tool chest."

###

To view the letter the nation's governors sent to Congressional leaders, click the link below:
http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/GovernorsGuardLetter.pdf <http://www.gov.state.la.us/assets/docs/PDFs/GovernorsGuardLetter.pdf>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org <http://www.louisianahelp.org> 1-877-HELPLA1 (877-435-7521)