[StBernard] White House admits slow Katrina housing plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Aug 24 19:56:45 EDT 2006

And I think that's a bunch of hooey too! I looked at maps/illustrations of
the breaches along MRGO levees and it sure looked like a lot more than 4!!

JLY
Read the end of this email. Amazing. People are going to feel a hell
of a
lot better knowing the water in their den came from water that
topped the
levee. It the water that actually goes through the hole in the levee
that
really pisses people off. Are these people idiots?

Charlie

"

Water over the top
Earlier Tuesday, the Corps' chief engineer, Don Basham, said New
Orleans-area levees might be overtopped by up to four feet of water
in a
future hurricane of Katrina's size.

"Even if you had another Katrina event today, we do not believe we'd
have
any levees fail, as far as collapsing," Basham said. "But you're
definitely
still going to have water that's going over the top of the levees.
And
people are going to be inundated and need to evacuate, get out of
the area."

A Corps investigation of the city's levees after Katrina revealed
that
levees were breached - meaning that they collapsed, causing the
water to
flow from behind them much faster - in only four spots along 160
miles of
floodwalls that were damaged during the storm. The walls were
overtopped in
46 places, Basham said.

C 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.