[StBernard] Katrina remembered in services across the area

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 29 22:03:24 EDT 2006

Katrina remembered in services across the area

In touching ceremonies across the region, residents reflected on the past
year, mourning their devastating losses but vowing to prevail.

While we reflect on the past, schools Superintendent Doris Voitier told an
overflow crowd at a ceremony at Chalmette High School, "Let us also
celebrate how far we have journeyed in the past year.''

The ceremonies in St. Bernard Parish mirrored events across the metro area.

>From Buras, where a moment of silence was observed on the slab of the former

volunteer fire department, to New Orleans, where President Bush prayed with
other leaders, south Louisiana spent much of the morning reflecting on
Hurricane Katrina.

Later Tuesday morning, St. Bernard Parish officials dedicated the parish's
hurricane memorial on the banks of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet at
Shell Beach. Parish officials say they chose the MR-GO as the site because
they blame that waterway for speeding the flooding that wiped out the
parish.