[StBernard] Governor's Column: Tribute to the American worker-and Louisiana's lowest ever unemployment

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 3 21:58:25 EDT 2006

Tribute to the American worker-and Louisiana's lowest ever unemployment

A Column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

When I was growing up in the small Louisiana community of Coteau, my father would often say to us, "All work is honorable." The wisdom of his words rings true today.

We need these long weekends every now and again, especially during the "dog days of summer." Thank goodness for Labor Day! On this Labor Day 2006, Louisiana has something to celebrate! We proudly boast the lowest unemployment rate in the nation.

In the old days, Labor Day was used by workers to celebrate their accomplishments. I'd like to follow in that tradition, and report to you some accomplishments - just plain good news - recently revealed by labor statistics in Louisiana.

In late August, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that our unemployment rate dropped to a record low - at 2.9%, the lowest of all the states and the District of Columbia. What this means is that anyone who wants to work can find a job here. The significance of this is very important, especially for our citizens living out of state, but who want to return. We have the jobs here - and we need our workforce home.

Our labor force isn't the size it was before hurricanes Katrina and Rita, but the low unemployment rate is a very encouraging sign. It's also an encouraging trend - unemployment down from 5.8% in June; down again from 3.5% in July.

What these numbers tell us is that there are more jobs here in Louisiana than in previous months - up 200 in natural resources and mining; up 1,400 in construction; up 1,100 in trade, transportation and utilities; up 600 in information; up 700 in professional and business services; up 1,100 in educational and health services; up 2,600 in leisure and hospitality. Louisiana business sectors are growing - Louisiana people are working!

Labor Day has become a holiday of leisure - time for family picnics, sporting events and summer's last hurrah - but there's still plenty to celebrate the old-fashioned way.

Enjoy your day off and celebrate Labor Day. We've earned it! Come Tuesday, it's back to work - because there is much work left to do. Transforming Louisiana is honorable work for us all; and, it will take all of us working together to accomplish our goal - a place that is safer, stronger and smarter, a place of opportunity for our people, our families and future generations.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org