[StBernard] Why wait? SB742 - Act 815

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 3 22:23:42 EDT 2006

There was much discussion during the past legislative session about Senate
Bill 742 which outlawed all smoking in restaurants.

Thankfully, the State Legislators did listen to the people of Louisiana and
pass this bill which was signed into law as Act 815 by Gov. Blanco.

Unfortunately, the law does not go into effect until January 1, 2007,
another three months away. Why do we need to wait?

Although it is not required by law, I urge everyone to remind the managers
and owners of their favorite restaurants that this law has passed and there
is nothing that says they cannot make their restaurant a non-smoking
restaurant today. I am sure they would get a lot of positive feedback from
their customers if they were to do so.

I was at a restaurant over the weekend and everything was going good until
this one lady decided she had to light up. She had no desire to walk
outside to do her filthy habit nor did it seem like she was even interested
in smoking. From my perspective, she and her husband had nothing to talk
about so she lit the cigarette to have something in her hands to occupy
herself with. Most of it just burned in her hand, acting as foul smelling
incense rather than as a nicotine high for her.

After taking ten minutes to burn that one out, she lit up a second one just
five minutes as the first one was finally extinguished.

I really couldn't remember if the law had passed or not since it seemed to
drop off the radar once it passed and other bills were coming up for
consideration. But it did give me an idea to expand the other anti-smoking
bill that was passed and is already in effect.

House Bill 1010, Act 838, prohibits smoking in a car with children. Let us
extend that further and say that smoking shall be prohibited from all
enclosed areas where children could be expected to enter, whether or not a
child is actually present.

Now that I know the facts, I will be pressing the managers and owners of the
restaurants I enter to go smoke-free sooner rather than later.

Westley