[StBernard] Mississippi Sales Tax

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 6 21:31:21 EDT 2006

The sales tax issue is not unique to that store. For sales delivered
outside the state it is called Interstate Commerce sales and the store does
not have to charge sales tax because the State does not get any benefit for
the sale. The purchaser and the merchandise has left that state and is no
longer that's state's business. However, there is now merchandise in
Louisiana that needs to be taxed at the Louisiana level. It is called Use
Tax and is reported on the State personal income tax return. Now I realize
that people do this all of the time and is a relatively low policed item at
the State level. So it is up to the honesty of the people to do what is
right or take the chance. I don't want Westley's site to be used as a
vehicle to tell people to do the wrong thing or give bad advise.

Nonetheless, your heart was in the right place.

Dan Johnson
Certified Public Accountant
257 W Causeway Approach
Mandeville, LA 70448