[StBernard] LA Fair Plan

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 8 23:17:08 EDT 2006

Princess,

This is all part of the original law that created the Fair Plan.

The Fair Plan is a state-run entity that sells homeowners insurance (modeled
after a similar entity in the state of Florida). Originally intended as
insurance of last resort, it is turning into insurance on only resort.

With the losses incurred because of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and it's
relative young age, it never had the opportunity to build enough reserves to
handle all claims. If this was a private insurance company, it would have
been declared insolvent.

Instead, all Louisiana taxpayers, not just those who have coverage under the
Fair Plan have to make up the difference. This is done through a surcharge
on insurance policies issued by other insurance companies. The surcharge
will be on added to your premiums every year until the Fair Plan has built
up a sufficient reserve. The last I heard, I think they were talking about
4-5 years before the surcharge will be removed. That is assuming no other
major storms strikes Louisiana.

Westley