[StBernard] Chalmette Refining Launches Powering Progress Program

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 21 22:28:39 EDT 2006

Chalmette Refining launches “Powering Progress” Program
Programs focus on rebuilding community spirit as well as infrastructure

Chalmette, LA – Chalmette Refining today reaffirmed its commitment to
helping St. Bernard Parish to rebuild itself by launching the Chalmette
Refining “Powering Progress” campaign. The campaign will focus on programs
that encourage community spirit as well as replace destroyed
infrastructure.

“Chalmette Refining has been an important part of St. Bernard Parish for
nearly 100 years and cares deeply about its future,” said Refinery Manager
Albert Stroink.

“As a major employer in the Parish, we recognize the important role we can
play in returning the Parish to a healthy, vibrant place to live, work and
play,” Stroink said. “Through such programs as our new Neighborhood Grant
Program or our Citizen Board, we want do to our part to help Parish
residents rebuild their lives, their homes and our communities.”

Refinery representatives will be available Saturday during St. Bernard
Parish’s second Home Building Expo to provide information on the “Powering
Progress” campaign. The Expo is from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the
brown-and-white tent behind the St. Bernard Parish Government Complex, 8201
W. Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette. The Home Expo will feature modular home
concepts and other rebuilding options, as well as free contact information
for local contracting services and businesses.

Among the many programs planned as part of Chalmette Refining’s “Powering
Progress” campaign is the Neighborhood Grant Program, created to provide
grants ranging from $100 to $5,000 to local citizen groups for landscaping
and beautification programs around St. Bernard Parish.

“Our philosophy is to foster community pride in St. Bernard Parish in ways
that touch everyone – including those who dream the projects, those who
build them, and everyone who enjoys our more beautiful community,” Stroink
commented.

Another new program, the Chalmette Refining Citizen Board, is recruiting
local residents to serve as community advisors to the refinery in helping
it both understand community concerns regarding economic, health and
quality of life issues, but also suggest ways to enhance the company’s
commitment as a responsible corporate citizens to the local community.

Parish Council Vice-Chair Joey DiFatta applauded announcement of the
program. “Chalmette Refining has long been an active community member, but
never has its support been so needed as now. The fact that it is increasing
its support is welcome news indeed. We look forward to continuing our
partnership with this important Parish employer as we rebuild our
community.”’

Don Duplantier, a local veterinarian who recently reopened his business,
said, “Chalmette Refining, which was the first Parish employer to resume
operations, once again is proving that it has the Parish’s interests at
heart. As a community member, I appreciate that its ’Powering Progress‘
campaign includes programs directed at helping to restore a sense of
community. Sponsoring Chalmette High School’s first night game in our
renovated stadium will be a great opportunity for everyone to come together
and have fun.”

The following are just a few ways in which Chalmette Refining is “Powering
Progress,” with more programs to be announced soon:

· Donated $100,000 to the St. Bernard Parish Citizen Recovery Committee
(CRC) to assist with the development of a master plan to guide the Parish’s
recovery.
· Donated $500,000 to the Franciscan Missionaries to establish an
interim health care facility, which is critical toward rebuilding the
Parish and encouraging residents to return.
· Through the ExxonMobil Foundation, made a $10 million commitment to
Greater New Orleans schools, including St. Bernard Parish School System.
· Working closely with St. Bernard Parish public schools to provide
funding for school supplies and equipment, professional development for
teachers and enrichment programs for students.
· Spent nearly $60,000 to re-start the Industrial Technology program
this fall at Nunez Community College. The program, which provides area
residents with the training they need to find well-paying jobs, will have
its first graduates next spring.
· Will open its Cure Building (formerly Union Hall) to provide a place
for community gatherings or organizations to meet.
· Created the Neighborhood Grant Program to provide grants ranging from
$100 to $5,000 for neighborhood beautification projects
· Organizing a children’s Halloween party to give local kids a safe
place to dress up and have fun.
· Planning a series of “Welcome Home” parties for returning residents.
· Inviting local residents to join the newly created Chalmette Refining
Citizens Board.

For more information on Chalmette Refining’s “Powering Progress” campaign
or its program, contact Carolina Asirifi, Chalmette Refining Public
Affairs, 504-281-1409.