[StBernard] Urgent care center opening Monday, Oct. 2 at St. Bernard Health Center; will be open seven days a week

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 27 23:08:22 EDT 2006

An urgent care center will open on Monday, Oct. 2 at the St. Bernard Parish
Health Center in the old Super Wal-Mart parking lot in Chalmette but cases
involving serious trauma will be stabilized and moved to a hospital
emergency room, officials said.

Injuries such as lacerations and other non-serious trauma injuries can be
treated at the urgent care center, which will be open from 3-8 p.m. Monday
through Friday and noon to 8 p.m. on Sunday, said Michael Pisciotta,
administrator of the Health Center. "We can stabilize a trauma case'' and
then move the patient to a hospital emergency room, he said.

No appointments will be available for the urgent care center, which will be
on a walk-in basis, said Pisciotta. Ultra sound equipment will be available
there, he said.
The urgent care center will have an entrance on the east side of the 22,000
square-foot health center, which is a different entrance than for the clinic
at the health center, officials said.

Also, the clinic, which is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
and 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, will now close on Sunday effective Oct. 2,
officials said.
The health center has been operated since April by the Franciscan
Missionaries of Our Lady Health System (FMOL) and Ascension Health.