[StBernard] Parish to receive $200, 000 in federal grants to help revitalize tourism visitation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 27 23:08:57 EDT 2006

St. Bernard Parish's Department of Tourism will be receiving $200,000 in
federal grants for consumer marketing and advertising programs to help
revitalize tourism visitation affected by Hurricane Katrina, Parish
President Henry "Junior'' Rodriguez announced.

"This is important in the recovery of St. Bernard Parish,'' Rodriguez, said,
because the parish has many historic areas that created opportunities for
tourism before the hurricane. Receiving money to help boost tourism
visitation again can only help the parish, he said.
"We will review possible uses of the money,'' Rodriguez said.

Chalmette Battlefield, site of the Jan. 8, 1815, Battle of New Orleans that
saved the area from invading British, is a top historical site and tourism
destination in the parish, he said, along with the sites that preserve the
parish's Islenos culture, historic plantations such as Sebastopol and
Kenilworth and the various scenic fishing areas and annual festivals held in
St. Bernard that were all attractions for tourists and can be again.

A total of $28.5 million will come to the state from the U.S. Department of
Housing and Urban Development for a tourism recovery program, Gov. Kathleen
Blanco and U.S. senators Mary Landrieu and David Vitter said.

The $200,000 share for St. Bernard Parish were secured through the State
Office of Tourism from community block granting funds to assist affected
parishes to boost tourism and revitalize the industry's economic recovery.

"We have to decide the best way to use it,'' said Elizabeth "Gidget''
McDougall, tourism director or St. Bernard Parish government. "We have two
years to spend it.''

Promotion of festivals and other events that draw tourists is important, she
said. Noting that the Islenos Fiesta, the Tomato Festival and Art in April
were held again this year as well as the January celebration at Chalmette
Battlefield, McDougall said, "Slowly we are returning to our events and
attractions.''