[StBernard] Arson fire at Covington city government complex

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 30 19:10:59 EDT 2006

Arson fire at Covington city government complex
9/29/2006, 7:10 p.m. CT
The Associated Press

COVINGTON, La. (AP) - A Chalmette man was arrested Friday for allegedly
starting a fire that caused heavy damage to the City Council Chambers and
Police Department, authorities said.

John M. Thompson, 31, was booked with arson in the 11:15 p.m. Thursday fire
that forced police to move their headquarters to the city's main fire
station, Police Chief Jerome DiFranco said.

"The fire burned up our telephone lines and damaged our antenna and radio
system," DiFranco said.

He said surveillance cameras revealed Thompson, who was waiting for a taxi,
started the fire by tossing a lit cigarette on the ground in the breezeway
between the police station and council chambers. Thompson then stepped
inside the police station lobby and took several hurricane-evacuation
pamphlets, which he placed on top of the cigarette, DiFranco said.

Officers had brought Thompson to the police department after he was thrown
out of a Covington bar for causing a disturbance.

"We tried to do him a favor by not arresting him and letting him call a cab,
and this is the thanks we get," said DiFranco, who added that authorities
have yet to establish a motive for the alleged arson.

The council chambers sustained major damage, while City Hall and the police
station sustained smoke damage from the fire.

Thompson, who relocated to the Covington area after Hurricane Katrina, was
arrested about 6:30 a.m., DiFranco said.

If convicted, Thompson faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.