[StBernard] Civil-rights group challenges new St. Bernard housing rule

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 30 19:37:57 EDT 2006

Westley:

An unnamed New Orleans Civil Rights group wants to sue St. Bernard over our
"new" housing regulations prohibiting homeowners from renting their
properties, an action this group considers discriminatory. Well, I think it
is discriminatorty to my neighbors and myself to NOT implement this
regulation. Prior to Katrinia we had zoning laws, so how is this any
different? I for one realize that some folks have to rent. If Lynn Dean and
Mark Madary believe so strongly that this ruling is in error, then why not
have them open up the areas that live in and watch the property values
crash. We have all been through a lot, but too many apartments and
properties exist in New Orelans already, so why don't they put their money
were their mourths are and pay the cost