[StBernard] LRA Statement on Voters' Endorsement of Constitutional Amendments 1-4

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 1 23:08:47 EDT 2006

LRA Chairman Norman C. Francis' Statement on Voters' Endorsement of Constitutional Amendments 1 - 4

"The people of Louisiana have spoken - protecting our families, homes and businesses from future hurricanes remains our absolute highest priority."

"Just one year ago, we suffered the most devastating and costly natural disaster in the history of this great country. A faulty levee system compounded by an eroding coastline resulted in utter destruction and loss of life - the likes of which our nation had never seen."

"Today, we took the first step toward restoring our vanishing wetlands and protecting the state from hurricanes to come. Sadly, it won't be a matter of if another storm strikes, but when. Louisiana voters acknowledged this undeniable truth and demonstrated their commitment to safety and prevention from future storms."

"The overwhelming support shown for these constitutional amendments will send a strong message to our leaders in Washington that we take the issue of coastal restoration very seriously - and so should they."

"The people of Louisiana stand for devoting any and all offshore royalties to rebuilding our coastline."

"The people of Louisiana stand for principled, hard-working levee boards."

"The people of Louisiana stand for leaving future generations safer, stronger and smarter."

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###