[StBernard] Governor Blanco: "Teacher pay before my pay!"

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 5 22:28:20 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco: "Teacher pay before my pay!"

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement regarding the salary recommendations of the Compensation Review Panel:

"I am pleased that my goals for teacher pay have put us in striking distance of the Southern Regional Education Board average. At 95 percent, we are closer than ever before to this benchmark in teacher pay. In the 2007 legislative session, I will push for an additional boost in pay for Louisiana's teachers as we aim for that critical but moving target.

"If the legislature chooses to debate reasonable salary increases for themselves and statewide elected officials, I ask that those salaries be applicable to terms beginning in 2008. I will not accept a pay increase, nor will I support giving pay raises to any statewide elected officials or legislators during this current term."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org