[StBernard] Legislature Approves Governor Blanco, LRA Rental Plan, Higher Ed Program

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 6 21:24:52 EDT 2006

Legislature Approves Governor Blanco, LRA Rental Plan, Higher Ed Program

Programs Move to HUD for Final Approval

BATON ROUGE, La. (October 6, 2006) - The Louisiana Legislature yesterday approved several programs and funding requests put forth by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco and the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) for rental housing, higher education and the Road Home eligibility of mobile homeowners. The programs now move to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for final approval. The Legislature also approved hazard mitigation program funds to assist local governments meet the state's new building codes.

The rental program's key components include:

* Helping to stabilize the market by increasing supply. It is anticipated that the rental programs will create as many as 36,000 units.
* Making rents affordable for members of the skilled workforce. The plan targets renters across a broad range of incomes.
* Creating mixed income housing that avoids concentrations of poverty by giving people at many income levels an opportunity to live in better communities.

"Thanks to the Legislature's support and endorsement, we can fast track these plans to HUD for final approval," said Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco. "I believe one of the greatest legacies we can leave for our recovery is affordable workforce housing. This plan, combined with the Road Home program, will do just that. We are bringing our nurses, teachers, firefighters, construction workers and other members of our skilled workforce back home and helping them rebuild their lives."

Before Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, it was estimated that almost half of available housing stock in the storm-affected areas consisted of rental units. More than 82,000 rental units sustained major or severe damage.

"Workers need a place to live at an affordable price," said LRA Housing Task Force Chair and Board Member Walter Leger. "The Legislature recognized this required quick action and worked with us to fine tune this plan. We will continue working closely with them as we launch this program."

The Legislature also approved:

* A revision to the Road Home housing assistance program regarding the eligibility of mobile home owners and others that do not own the property on which their house sits. The amendment defines that all owners of mobile homes who meet the criteria of eligibility under the program may be eligible for financial assistance under the Road Home.
* A proposal to use $14 million in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Funds to provide assistance to local governments across Louisiana as they implement the new statewide building codes which will go into effect on January 1, 2007. The initiative will offer training for code enforcement officials so they can accurately implement the provisions of the revised code especially in the state's hardest hit parishes. Parishes without a building inspection office will be provided with resources to create one.
* A plan to invest in the research capacity of universities impacted by hurricanes Rita and Katrina. In conjunction with the Board of Regents, the program would help attract research talent and help transfer the resulting technology to Louisiana businesses in the affected areas. The program, which would dedicate $28.5 million to the effort, would build upon Louisiana's existing research transfer program.

The Legislature's vote comes after Governor Blanco's approval and the LRA's endorsement. The action plans were also made available for public comment.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###