[StBernard] Governor Blanco's statement regarding projected state budget surplus

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Oct 20 18:30:32 EDT 2006

Governor Blanco's statement regarding projected state budget surplus

"Today the Joint Legislative Committee on Budget received an estimate of a significant projected state budget surplus from the Commissioner of Administration. This is great news for Louisiana as we continue our unprecedented recovery and a clear result of our efforts to remain fiscally responsible.

"This surplus is not money that will necessarily repeat itself in the future. As we continue to receive specific details about our anticipated surplus, I remind legislators and elected officials that we must hold ourselves accountable to Louisiana taxpayers.

"This surplus is not a blank check. We will make sound choices that benefit our citizens not just in the recovery area, but throughout the state. Louisiana faces numerous obligations during this extraordinary time. We will meet these obligations and the needs of our people without squandering our future.

"Louisiana now has an opportunity to provide property insurance rate relief to our people by covering a substantial amount of The Louisiana Citizens Property Insurance Corporation's debt obligation. This remains my top priority. I'm prepared to devote a significant portion of the surplus to rate relief. A portion of these funds will be used to meet Louisiana's debt obligations, enabling us to provide insurance rate relief. We will refund the one-time 15% assessment paid by property insurance holders across our state while continuing our efforts to provide long term rate relief. Insurance relief is the first of many needs we must be attentive to with the surplus. Working together, I'm confident we'll make the right investments for Louisiana."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org