[StBernard] Anti-tax group grades Blanco fiscal policy F

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 22 19:17:27 EDT 2006

Anti-tax group grades Blanco fiscal policy F
An anti-tax think tank ranks Gov. Kathleen Blanco at the bottom in fiscal
policy, but Hurricane Katrina might have affected her grade.

Blanco is among nine governors to receive an F on the Cato Institute's
"Fiscal Policy Report Card." She tied with Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano for
the lowest numerical score.

"Governors who have cut taxes and spending the most receive the highest
grades. Those who have increased spending and taxes the most receive the
lowest grades," the report says.

One governor - Republican Matt Blunt of Missouri - got an A, and six got
B's. Forty-three governors scored C or below.

The institute said Blanco campaigned on tax reform but did little to change
tax laws, much less reduce the tax burden. "Government has grown massively"
under her watch, the report says.

Blanco administration officials note that most of the huge increase in the
state budget this year is because of federal aid directed at rebuilding
after hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

Otherwise, the administration had little comment on the specifics of the
report.

"No governor nor any state has faced the challenges that we face at this
time, and we are focusing on recovery and progress," assistant press
secretary Roderick Hawkins said.