[StBernard] Governor Blanco announces The Road Home Houston Housing Assistance Center opens Nov. 16

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 8 22:07:32 EST 2006

Governor Blanco announces The Road Home Houston Housing Assistance Center opens Nov. 16

BATON ROUGE- Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco announced today the first out-of-state Road Home housing assistance center will open in Houston on November 16, increasing access to The Road Home program for displaced residents still living in Houston and other locations in Texas.

"There's no place like Louisiana. We are doing everything possible to help our citizens come back home. I'm excited to announce that our first Road Home Housing Assistance Center outside of Louisiana is opening in Houston," Governor Blanco said. "For the large number of Louisiana residents currently residing in Texas, and particularly in Houston, the opening of the Houston Center brings the process closer to them, making it easier for every qualifying homeowner to complete the application process. The return home is not just a real estate transaction; it's an emotional transaction as well. We created these centers to provide the support and individual attention our people need as they begin their journey back to Louisiana. We appreciate the continued support from our neighbors in Texas as we continue to recover from two enormous disasters and we are determined to build a safer, stronger, smarter Louisiana."

Louisiana residents currently residing in Texas who have already applied but have yet to schedule appointments may do so by calling 1-888-ROAD-2-LA. Those who have made appointments at a Louisiana Center have the option to reschedule those appointments at the Houston Center.

Homeowners who have not yet applied, must complete an application whether or not they pre-registered for the program. Homeowners may apply online at www.road2LA.org <http://www.road2LA.org> or by calling 1-888-ROAD-2-LA.

Homeowners living in Houston who have already scheduled appointments at one of the Louisiana centers may call the hotline to reschedule their appointment at the Houston center if they wish.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for homeowners to schedule their appointments," said Mike Byrne, Chief Program Executive. "We also want to assure homeowners that their choice of location for their appointment will not slow down the process for them to get home."

The Road Home program also wishes to thank the residents and governments of Harris County and the City of Houston for their support of the Houston Housing Assistance Center.

"Mayor Bill White, Judge Robert Eckels, their staffs and the people of Texas have all played a vital and instrumental role in assisting the displaced residents and in getting this center up and running," said Byrne. "Without their assistance, it would have been virtually impossible to bring this service to our residents who are living in Texas."

The Road Home program is designed to help residents of Louisiana affected by Hurricane Katrina or Rita get back into their homes as quickly and fairly as possible. This groundbreaking program represents the largest single housing recovery program in U.S. history. Working together, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, the Louisiana Recovery Authority and the Office of Community Development created The Road Home program with the approval of the Louisiana Legislature. The program affords eligible homeowners up to $150,000 in compensation for their losses to get back into their homes.

To start your application to The Road Home program, visit www.road2LA.org <http://www.road2LA.org> or call 1.888.ROAD.2.LA (1.888.762.3252). TTY callers use 711 relay or 800.846.5277.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org