[StBernard] separate from what?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 29 19:03:29 EST 2006

FOR CRAIG:

Has the parish yet adopted the FEMA guidelines for raising a home? If not,
when do they plan on doing that? I understand it wouldn't be beneficial for
those in "B" zone but I also understand the new zone map will be issued in
January, which would ultimately result in changes for many. I also
understand that with or without the adoption of this guideline, I wouldn't
qualify for any ICC funds.

But of further concern is the fact that my insurance company has advised
that we would have flood insurance for the next three years (at an increase
for each of these three years), after that time, without the adoption of the
guidelines by the parish, our flood would be cancelled.

Also, I've been informed that no more council meetings are being held during
the evening hours when more residents could attend and be an active part in
their community, due to the fact that the council chamber doesn't have the
proper lighting. If that's the case - why not more the once-a-month meeting
at night to a lighted place, maybe Nunez or Chalmette High School. I also
understand that funding from the government has been requested to redo the
Gov. complex building. What happened to all of the money already allocated
to St. Bernard parish? Why not use some funds for that instead of dumping
so much into a library. Don't get me wrong a library is a great asset.
However, most things today can be found on the internet rather than going to
a library. Why not share these funds evenly throughout parish projects???

Taking off from work is not an option for these meetings as my vacation time
is precious to me and I cannot use it for council meetings. Wish my company
were that generous.

And lastly - have asked repeatedly about residents who have left the parish
to live elsewhere, abandoned swimming pools which remain full of water.
Don't know if any one has noticed or not but the white crane birds have been
having a buffet at many of the pools, depleting the supply of fish. (Think
the one next to me had a crane that even enjoyed the snakes as we don't see
as many lately, if any at all.) A pool left unroped off is still a
tremendous liability and hazard for those residents left behind. What's up
with this? Why can't something be done? Possibly a fine for the pool's
homeowners (another way for the parish to make a few bucks but help keep us
safe).

Khaki