[StBernard] Construction to Begin on New State-Of-The-Art Hospital in South Cameron Parish

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 29 19:04:00 EST 2006

Construction to Begin on New State-Of-The-Art Hospital in South Cameron Parish

CREOLE, La. (November 29, 2006)- Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, the Louisiana Recovery Authority and Cameron Parish officials announced today that construction is set to begin on a $22 million new state-of-the art facility to replace South Cameron Memorial Hospital.

"Construction of this new facility is absolutely critical to ensuring Cameron's long-term recovery and future growth," said Governor Blanco. "This is yet another symbol of the tremendous progress we're making across South Louisiana and proof that the intense winds and raging floodwaters from last year's storm are giving way to safer homes, stronger schools and hospitals and smarter communities."

A conference call with members of the working media will be held at 10 a.m. today to discuss the project. To participate in the conference call, members of the working media should dial 1-877-278-8686 * and enter the participant code 135840.

Last September, Hurricane Rita devastated Southwest Louisiana, completely destroying South Cameron Memorial Hospital, which operated as the only full-service hospital in Cameron Parish. Construction of the new facility, which is scheduled to begin with an official groundbreaking on December 20, will be funded through a combination of federal and state funds.

FEMA recently approved eight (8) Public Assistance (PA) project worksheets based on estimates to restore the hospital to its pre-disaster condition. Through the PA Program, FEMA provides supplemental federal disaster grant assistance for the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities with the intention of restoring them to pre-disaster conditions. Improvements and additions to permanent infrastructure projects are often deemed to be ineligible for funding through the FEMA PA Program.

Recognizing that the return of hospital services is critical to support ! the return of residents and businesses to Cameron Parish, the LRA passed a resolution in August designating damage to public rural hospitals as a criterion eligible for funding under the Local Government Infrastructure Program. Through this action, the state committed Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds to cover all of Cameron's non-federal matching costs and all repair costs that are deemed to be ineligible for FEMA public assistance, which could total to more than $4 million.

"By leveraging our limited CDBG funds to support and expedite the construction of critical public facilities, such as South Cameron Memorial Hospital, we are maximizing our infrastructure funds to achieve the greatest possible investment in Louisiana's recovery," said John T. Landry, Chairman of the LRA's Infrastructure Task Force.

"Governor Blanco, the LRA, Chairman Powell and Louisiana's Congressional Delegation have all played a critical role in moving this proje! ct forward," said Cameron Parish Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Jones. "I join thousands of Cameron Parish residents in saying thank you for all of your efforts to help us rebuild our hospital, our lives, and our community."

In September, with these federal, state and private commitments in place, residents of Cameron Parish overwhelmingly approved a 10-year maintenance tax designed to support sustainable hospital operations, clearing the way for construction of the new facility to begin.

"This new facility will provide emergency care services for thousands of residents and offshore workers in lower Cameron," said Jones. "This will serve as a critical access point during the 'golden hour' drive between Cameron and Lake Charles, which could mean the difference between life and death for many patients."

Once completed, this new state-of-the art facility will include a full emergency room, 25 inpatient beds and rural health clinic, which includes a dental program. The hospital will also house a retail pharma! cy and other ancillary services. The hospital is to be constructed in two phases. Phase I will include the emergency department and eight (8) inpatient beds. Phase II includes 17 inpatient beds and the other ancillary services. The contractor currently predicts that substantial completion of Phase I will be accomplished on or before March 25, 2007.

In accordance with the state's hazard mitigation and elevation policies, the hospital has been designed as an elevated structure with the finished floor located at an elevation of 10 feet above sea level, allowing for 1 foot of freeboard above base flood elevation. Freeboard is the distance between the base flood elevation and the bottom of the structure, which provides an additional safety factor. The hospital's emergency generator and sewer treatment plant are also designed to allow their continued operation during flood events. The hospital's structure is structural steel set upon concrete piers and is designed to ! withstand winds of 130 miles per hour.

###

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives and destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating against jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.