[StBernard] PLANS FOR SPECIAL SESSION FIRM: Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 1 23:37:34 EST 2006

PLANS FOR SPECIAL SESSION FIRM
Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

"Louisiana has an unprecedented opportunity to cut taxes, fix roads, reduce insurance costs and pay our citizens fair wages. This opportunity is the result of aggressively building our economy and remaining fiscally responsible. A stronger economy allows us to provide tax cuts to our citizens and pay people fair wages.

"The longer we wait, the longer we keep relief out of the pockets of rate payers who need it now. To get Louisiana teachers to the Southern regional pay average or above, we must act now to remain competitive and keep our best teachers right here at home.

"Our roads are in need of repair. The longer we wait to start the work, the higher the cost of construction.

"Consensus was reached last month regarding dates and session priorities in meetings with legislative leaders. Both Democrat and Republican delegations were consulted. While it is regrettable that certain individuals feel that they may be inconvenienced by this session, I am convinced that most people will agree that it is important to deliver immediate tax relief to Louisiana businesses and families, refund the LA Citizen's assessment paid by homeowners across our state, make a real investment to improve our roads and provide fair salaries to teachers, state employees and first responders

"I made a strong commitment to assist our working families as quickly as possible and I believe the legislature will stand with me to assist our citizens in these critical ways.

"This Special Session will enable Louisiana families to enter the New Year with tax cuts and lower insurance payments. This is the first step in our long term plan to resolve Louisiana's insurance crisis. Our plan puts money in the pockets of families across Louisiana. We will not let them down.

"The Revenue Estimating Committee has been set for Tuesday, December 5 at 9:00 a.m. This step will advance our agenda to meet the needs of our people."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org