[StBernard] Murphy Oil Spill Claim Deadline

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Dec 3 00:01:59 EST 2006

This is true, and Murphy is actually encouraging people to opt back in.
They said the more participation they get, the more the judge is likely to
approve the settlement. I have property in the buyout and outside of the
buyout they said I had to opt back in on all property just like I had to opt

out on all property. They look at it as you are either in the class, or
out. They want as many people as possible to be in. Some people that did
not opt out and did not settle are angry with this. They feel that if
others are not allowed to opt back in, then they will get more money. This
would be true if the money were to be divided equally amoung all in the
class, but this is not how the settlement is structured. The settlement is
for a flat amount per property in some zones and a square footage amount in
other zones. And the square footage amount is different depending on what
zone you lived in because the contamination and damages in some areas was
greater than other areas. People that did opt out will not get paid twice,
they will only get the difference from what the settlement is and what they
were already paid. I went to a meeting on this on Wed. with the company
handling the disbursement of the settlement. It got pretty rowdy in there.

I made sure I knew where the exit was!

Laurie