[StBernard] separate from what?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Dec 4 22:27:37 EST 2006

Thanks, Janet, and I appreciate the time you took to answer at least that
part of my email. Perhaps there are several of us out there who were not
aware of these types of service. Which is truly unfortunate and Lord knows
we could have used such services then, and now for that matter.

I'm still waiting on answers to other questions that were asked in my email
so hopefully some kind sole (such as yourself) will answer the other issues.
If not maybe once the library is up and running I will be able to go there
for internet use to get answers still in limbo.

Thanks,

Khaki
Dear Khaki,

I know your e-mail was directed to Craig, but I felt I had to speak up for
our library. It saddens me greatly to hear comments such as yours. I have
spent the last 3 days listening to library directors from all over the
country tell about their library systems. These librarians are working to
bring to light the immense values of our public libraries.

If polls were taken as to how many people depended on public libraries after
Katrina to gain information, to apply for aid, to search for loved ones, to
contact public officials and others, I think you would be impressed. I have
heard countless stories to that effect. In fact, we were dependent upon the
wonderful services at the Natchitoches Public Library when we evacuated.
These fantastic library staffers allowed us internet access--free of charge,
downloaded and printed--again at no cost--the main sections of the Times
Picayune; they even fed us breakfast and lunch! I am deeply appreciative of
the services made available to us by the library staff in Natchitoches.
They exemplified what a public library should and can be.

It boggles one's mind that our federal and state governments do not consider
libraries as providers of vital services. Especially when libraries often
times were a clearing house of governement information and currently one of
the quickest ways--via free internet access--of applying for and checking
the status of hurricane relief and assistance.

I guess you could say that my opinion is biased as I have been an employee
of the St. Bernard Parish Library for the past 13 years or so--until
Hurricane Katrina. I have been helping our library director--without pay--I
might add to demonstrate my belief in how important our library is--in any
way I can to ensure our reopening as soon as possible. I am confident that
our Council members are going to do their very best to make this a reality.

Libraries are no longer just about books. They offer a wide variety of
valuable services. Libraries are one of the few places that are truly for
everyone regardless of their race, religion, finances, educational or social
backgrounds etc. At the Solinet Summit I attended, I had the privilege of
listening to Ms. Kate Nevins and Ms. MaryEllin Santiago speak. They are
executives with Solinet--the fine folks who are working with the Gates
Foundation to help restore and reopen libraries devastated by Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita. They wrote the following in their welcome letter:

"Your commitment to recover and rebuild, in spite of daunting obstacles,
inspires us all. As leaders in our communities, we see every day the power
that libraries have to strengthen those communities and support recovery.
They provide educational and social services, and are safe and inviting
spaces for all citizens. Libraries support businesses and community
organizations in promoting economic and cultural development. They provide
a focal point for engaging everyone in the community's growth."

We were blessed at the St. Bernard Parish Library with many wonderful, loyal
patrons. Some were readers, some were internet users, some were scholars,
some were parents, some were children. All were people who defined our
library as a community gathering place. We have seen our library packed to
capacity by children enjoying our summer reading programs. We have assisted
students with school projects using the many tools available. We have
helped stroke survivors find books to help them learn to read once again,
We have located tax forms for frazzled patrons. We have aided genealogical
researchers with decades-old city directories. We have given print
handicapped patrons the means to be able to enjoy reading again. We have
provided information to small business owners. We have provided government
contact information to concerned citizens. We have provided grant
information to agencies attempting to help our community. We have provided
meeting space for little or no cost to a wide variety of groups. We have
provided a safe environment for patrons to pursue their interests. Our
parish residents deserve to have a public library that can serve them is
such a capacity again. I truly hope that when we are once again open and
serving our community, you will come to visit us and take advantage of what
we have to offer.

Janet