[StBernard] Junior goes to Washington...

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 5 20:56:53 EST 2006

St. Bernard Parish President Henry "Junior'' Rodriguez and other groups
pushing for the total closure of the Mississippi River - Gulf Outlet went to
Washington, D.C., on Monday to meet with the state's congressional
delegation and discuss a united plan.

"After many years it appears we can assure our citizens and those of
adjoining parishes that the
MRGO will be closed,'' Rodriguez said Monday of the ship channel that many
blame for the devastating flooding of St. Bernard Parish and parts of New
Orleans during Hurricane Katrina.

Carlton Dufrechou of the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation and Mark Ford
of Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana and others are also making the
trip, which all also have a goal of drawing plans for storm protection and
coastal restoration, Rodriguez said.

He said that on Tuesday press conferences are scheduled in Washington to
discuss the recent joint declaration by the Corps of Engineers, the state of
Louisiana and city of New Orleans for the complete closure of the MRGO.
Rodriguez said the group will discuss the need to build a solid structure at
Bayou LaLoutre in St. Bernard Parish.