[StBernard] LT. GOV. LANDRIEU TO COMMEMORATE RE-OPENING OF ST. BERNARD STATE PARK

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 5 21:15:06 EST 2006

PRESS RELEASE
Office of State Parks

FOR RELEASE:
Contact: Sharon Broussard
November 28, 2006
phone: 225-219-4271

LT. GOV. LANDRIEU TO COMMEMORATE RE-OPENING
OF ST. BERNARD STATE PARK

BATON ROUGE - The Office of the Lt. Governor, Department of Culture,
Recreation & Tourism and the Office of State Parks is please to announce
the re-opening of St. Bernard State Park, following clean up and repair
of the extensive damage caused by Hurricane Katrina. The re-opening will
be celebrated with festivities beginning at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 19.

"The re-opening of St. Bernard State Park is symbolic of the
progress made in rebuilding Louisiana," said Lt. Governor Mitch
Landrieu. "St. Bernard Parish was so dramatically effected by
Hurricane Katrina. We've worked hard to make our state's natural
and cultural assets once again available to our citizens and visitors.
This brings us one step closer to a complete recovery for the New
Orleans area."

"Tourism to St. Bernard Parish during 2005 generated nearly
$30 million in business," said Angele Davis, Secretary of the
Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism. "The re-opening of
St. Bernard State Park will help significantly in, once again,
stimulating economic growth for the area, as well as providing a place
for families and friends to enjoy Louisiana's natural resources.

Re-opening ceremonies will begin with Lt. Gov. Landrieu
welcoming visitors back to St. Bernard State Park, followed by
recognition of area dignitaries and the lighting of a holiday tree.
Local choirs will perform songs of the season and hayride tours of the
site will be offered, along with coffee, hot chocolate and cookies.
St. Bernard State Park is located near Violet on La. Highway 39, and
offers camping, hiking and swimming.

####