[StBernard] Gov. Blanco dissapointed Congress failed to pass WRDA funds for Louisiana communities

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 7 15:09:32 EST 2006

Congress fails to reauthorize WRDA

Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

"I am disappointed that the Congress failed to reauthorize the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA), which provides crucial coastal restoration, navigation and flood control projects for Louisiana. We had been assured this would happen before the end of the year. Even though Congress can't seem to see the urgency of passing this bill, our Delegation knows what Louisiana needs. Since the bill was first drafted, Louisiana's position was greatly enhanced by the leadership of Congressman Baker and Senator Vitter, who were members of the powerful Conference Committee on this legislation..

"Critical coastal restoration and hurricane protection projects were pending in this bill worth several billions in authorizations. Our delegation was able to include in this bill essential coastal restoration, navigation, and flood control projects that desperately await federal endorsement. Most importantly, this legislation will streamline the exhausting Corps of Engineers processes that result in decades of study before projects are ever started. In most cases, these delays are unnecessary and leave Louisiana communities vulnerable while our coast continues to vanish.

"I remain optimistic about this bill in the 110th Congress, and it will be a critical year, as the State will be considering a comprehensive plan to protect and restore coastal Louisiana. My staff worked hand in hand with all of the Delegation offices, and their unity on these issues is critical. I hope our Delegation continues its great work so that we will be well positioned next year."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org