[StBernard] HOUSE PASSES CHILD TAX CREDIT

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 12 19:59:13 EST 2006

HOUSE PASSES CHILD TAX CREDIT

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's plan to invest in Louisiana is one step closer to bringing much-needed relief to families across the state. Today, the House of Representatives unanimously approved House Bill 59, providing parents a refundable tax credit of $75 per child.

"This is good news for our families struggling to make ends meet," said Gov. Blanco. "I remember filing my own taxes as a mother of six, when Louisiana had a $25 per child credit. Those dollars added up to a lot of help in my own household! I urge the Senate to join us in this effort so families can file for the tax credit immediately."

HB 59, sponsored by Baton Rouge Rep. Yvonne Dorsey, provides a $75 tax credit for each child age 19 or younger - or 24 if still in school - living in the taxpayer's household for more than half of the tax year, and who has not provided more than half of his or her own support for the calendar year. Permanently and totally disabled children qualify regardless of age.

The credit is refundable and available to all parents and legal guardians whether or not they lave any state tax obligations. The credit applies to the 2006 tax year, and families can take this credit when they begin to file taxes in January. HB 59 now moves to the Senate for further debate.

Click here for more news from the Special Session.
<http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&navID=41&cpID=149&cfmID=0&catID=0>
###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org