[StBernard] President promises to sign OCS into law Wednesday

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 15 21:31:36 EST 2006

WASHINGTON - The White House has committed to signing into law The Tax
Relief and Health Care Act of 2006 (H.R. 6111) next Wednesday.

The legislation, which passed the House of Representatives Dec. 8 and the
Senate Dec. 9, ends a 50-year fight to secure hundreds of millions of
dollars in energy revenues for Louisiana.

"Louisiana will be getting an early Christmas gift," said Rep. Bobby Jindal.
"I am very pleased that the president has set a date for signing this
legislation into law, legislation that is a key component of building a
better and brighter Louisiana.

"The revenues from the offshore drilling will help repair our coasts,
develop our infrastructure, and improve our flood and hurricane protection.
While these revenues will bring billions of dollars to Louisiana, we must
also be careful to spend these new revenues responsibly and not waste it on
pork projects."

Jindal serves on the House Resources Committee..