[StBernard] St. Bernard gains $1.3M substation repair grant

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 22 22:37:56 EST 2006

By CityBusiness staff report

WASHINGTON - Rep. Charlie Melancon, D-Napoleonville, today announced the St.
Bernard Parish Sheriff Department will receive a $1.327 million federal
disaster aid grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal
Emergency Management Agency to reimburse costs to replace the St. Claude
Substation, which was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

"The men and women of the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Department saved
thousands of lives last year when Katrina's floodwaters submerged the entire
community," said Melancon. "As we move forward with the recovery and
rebuilding effort, their bravery, resourcefulness, and dedication will be
remembered. With this grant, the Department can rebuild damaged facilities
and continue to serve needs of the parish.

"In recent weeks, my colleagues in Congress and I were able to strike a deal
to provide Louisiana with a significant share of offshore oil and gas
royalties to fund hurricane prevention and coastal restoration projects. I
will continue to work in the upcoming Congress to make sure rebuilding and
protecting Louisiana remains a high priority in Washington."
Strong winds, heavy rains and flooding from Hurricane Katrina caused
catastrophic damage to the St. Claude Substation, a two-story building
constructed in the 1920s. Flooding of up to 10 feet damaged the building,
contents, and mechanical and electrical systems. Wind tore up the roof and
interior ceiling. This grant provides for the demolition and replacement of
the building and associated mechanical and electrical systems. Replacement
of the contents will be covered under a separate grant..