[StBernard] Road Home property buyouts-what happens

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Dec 30 10:14:54 EST 2006

Randy,

I was mentioning the area around Kaiser.

Now, let me mention something here. When my parents moved to the parish in
the 70s from Kentucky, they had asked a family member to look for houses for
us in the parish. That family member never bothered to really look until we
got down there. So there we were,staying with her with no housing prospects
at hand. So, my parents had to start looking for a house immediately. They
rented an apartment temporairly on Farmsite Rd. Then they looked at the
housing development behind Farmsite, Plantation Village. They were FHA 235
houses; low income. Since my dad only had his Army retirement check; they
qualified. After that when Dad got a job with Amstar their house note when
up each year until the point he decided to pay it off. By the time my dad
retired from Amstar, between his pay there and his retirement he was earning
over $80,000 a year. Hardly low income. My parents kept that property up
and immaculate. What I'm trying to say is that "low income" does not
necessarily mean "trash" as some would think.

JLY

Are you talking about Chalmette Vista as the area of low income
housing
along St. Bernard Hwy near Kaiser? That is a lot different than a
low
income development.

Didn't New Orleans either pass or propose that adjacent property
owners
would have first option on any buyout properties when they are sold?
think that would be an excellent idea that would preserve the
integrity of
neighborhoods that have a few isolated properties that take the
buyout.
Some people would take the opportunity to expand the yard, lessening

density. Others may move a child or parent into the neighborhood. I
would
think it would be much better that packaging them and selling them
off to
the politically connected or large developers that may seek to
maximize
shareholder value thru tax credits for low income housing or some
other way
to maximize shareholder value at the expense of the neighbors.

I would think areas that have mass buyouts would be better suited
for
packaging to developers.

Randy