[StBernard] St. Bernard Teen Updates Hurricane Journal for Tattoo

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 1 20:59:48 EST 2007

I have to say that Sam's journal is excellent--not because she's my
daughter, but because of the gift she has given to our parish
through her
words.

Janet, I had just found Sam's journal a day before you posted this and
started reading. I am not near through, but had tears already on several
places. Being a mom of a teen myself, I felt the pain of having to make her
go to a school that was not hers; forcing her to leave things at the house
she wanted for lack of space, and later wished I would have just let her
pack (dont know where), the feeling of being grateful to be allowed to stay
somewhere but not wanting to be there, not being able to thank people
enough yet still feeling angry at not being home, the little things that
suddenly mean so much more than just the thing it is.
Teens had such a hard time, as they had to follow where their parents went,
had no influence at all over their life at the time, had their future dreams
just vanish into water, feeling even more utterly powerless than we as
parents. Sam's words really brought that out. You have every right to be
proud (and yes, I cursed as well and usually dont. So good to see that is
'normal')

Gaby

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't
want, to impress people they don't like. -Will Rogers