[StBernard] slabs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 9 22:44:41 EST 2007

That's funny, because my Allstate agent tried to convince me that I needed
to carry liability insurance on my SLAB.
Denise Laurent

With regards to demolishing slabs-- State Farm has told several
homeowners
that they will not continue to cover the liability on the property
of a
former home if the slab, the sidewalk and drive to the house, and
any garage
slabs are on the property, i.e. has to be demolished to raw land.
It's
costing between $3,500 to $5,500 to have a private contractor
demolish a
typical 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft. house slab in Chalmette, haul and
legally
dispose of the concrete, and grade the lot smooth so the grass can
be cut in
the future.

Seems if your insurance co. isn't pressing you to demolish the slab
yet, a
good solution would be for the Corps to demolish the slab and
recycle it for
a good purpose. The steel reinforcing bars and mesh has to be
extruded in
order to use for levee armoring. But the good news is that there are
machines that do this and steel is fetching a nice price right now.
Now how
long have we've had people suggesting this? Now how long will it
take to
come to fruition? Deborah Keller