[StBernard] Washington Report from Rep. Richard H. Baker

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 12 22:51:14 EST 2007

January 12, 2007

Congressman Baker Named Top Republican of the Water Resources and Environment Subcommittee

This week Congressman Baker was named ranking member of the Water Resources and Environment Subcommittee on the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. This subcommittee has significant jurisdiction over matters vital to Louisiana, including flood control, levees and coastal restoration. Click here to learn more. <http://www.baker.house.gov/html/news_item.cfm?id=614>

Baker Shares Views on President Bush's Iraq Strategy

As more U.S. troops prepare to deploy to Iraq, we are reminded of the considerable sacrifice and service of our troops both abroad and at home. They remain our country's greatest resource and we should all be proud of their efforts. In addition to our efforts, the Iraqis must assume greater responsibility in order to stabilize Iraq. Prior to President Bush's Iraq speech Wednesday night, Congressman Baker issued a statement concerning the obstacles we face in Iraq. Click here to read Congressman Baker's statement. <http://www.baker.house.gov/html/news_item.cfm?id=613>

Passports Required for Air Travel to the U.S. as of January 23, 2007

The Departments of State and Homeland Security have announced that citizens of the U.S. , Canada , Mexico and Bermuda will need passports to enter the U.S. when arriving by air from any part of the Western Hemisphere beginning January 23, 2007. This change is the result of recommendations offered by the 9/11 Commission. This requirement is the first of two phases of the strategy to improve border security and properly verify a traveler's identity when entering or re-entering the U.S. The second phase will address land and sea travel proposing specific requirements for travelers entering the U.S. through land and sea border crossings and may be implemented as early as January 1, 2008. U.S. citizens can call 1-877-487-2778 or visit www.travel.state.gov <http://www.travel.state.gov/> for more information about how to apply for a passport.

Baker Named Original Cosponsor of Tax Code Termination Act

As the 110th Congress begins Congressman Baker is again supporting fundamental tax code reform. Today's tax code is unfair, discourages savings and investment and is impossibly complex. Americans spend an estimated 7.4 billion hours each year to simply comply with the tax code - that exemplifies a code that is broken beyond repair.

The Tax Code Termination Act would terminate the existing tax code, abolish the Internal Revenue Code by December 31, 2010 and call on Congress to approve a new federal tax system by July of that same year. Similar legislation has been passed twice by the House of Representatives in 1998 and in 2000.