[StBernard] Protecting Louisiana from Terrorism a Priority

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jan 12 22:47:37 EST 2007

January 12, 2007

Dear friends,

Protecting Louisiana from terrorism is a priority

Over the last two years, I have been working hard to ensure that critical
infrastructure in Louisiana is protected from potential terrorist attacks.
As the only member on the House Homeland Security Committee from Louisiana,
I have made defending our state a top priority.

Last week, I was glad to see our efforts are paying off. The U.S. Department
of Homeland Security announced that Port Fourchon, one of the busiest energy
ports in our nation, will be eligible to apply for prioritized port security
grants, something the port had been unable to do until now. This money can
be used for underwater detection sensors and other technology to protect the
port.

Late last year, I successfully added language in the SAFE Ports Act that was
passed by the 109th Congress that called on the Department of Homeland
Security to re-examine the formula for which ports were selected for the
list to add ports that handle the oil and gas for our country like the one
at Fourchon. The nation remembers when gasoline prices reached $5 a gallon
in some cities after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and so I reminded my
colleagues of the important role Louisiana plays in supplying the nation
with energy and other critical goods that flow through our ports. As the
nation concentrates its homeland security resources on defending high
priority targets, I will continue to remind the nation that Louisiana is
home to five of the largest ports in the nation, six major railroad lines,
nuclear power plants, and other aspects of critical infrastructure.

As much as 20 percent of the oil supply in our country passes through Port
Fourchon, making it critical that the port is protected. I am glad that we
were able to convince the Department of Homeland Security that this port is
worth protecting, and I will continue working to ensure that the critical
infrastructure in our state is properly funded and that our first responders
get the communications equipment they need. To read more about this
important issue, click here.
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1168070498297
680.xml&coll=1>

This week, I also joined my colleagues in passing the Implementing the 9/11
Commission Recommendations Act of 2007. This bill will help make our nation
more secure by enacting some important national security reforms, but there
is still more work to be done. It is wrong that Congress is only now, more
than five years after the 9/11 attacks, finally implementing some of the
remaining recommendations by the Commission.

Demanding fiscal responsibility from our government

Since I was elected to Congress, I have made it a priority to force our
government to aggressively attack the waste, fraud, and abuse that plagues
the budget in our country each year. Last week, I cosponsored an important
bill that will help us accomplish this goal.

I added my support to legislation that proposes adding a balanced budget
amendment to our Constitution. For too long, our nation has spent money that
we do not have. Congressional appropriations bills have become a way for
high-ranking and influential politicians to flaunt their power. Millions of
taxpayer dollars have been wasted on an indoor rainforest in the Midwest and
a bridge to nowhere in Alaska and a half a million dollar teapot
museum---all examples highlighting the need for reform. This is a ridiculous
and outrageous use of our taxpayer dollars, and I want to see a budget that
is about national priorities before anything else.

The balanced budget amendment would be a step in the right direction to help
further fiscal discipline in our country. Restoring a sense of discipline in
government spending is a large task, and one that I will continue to fight
for in Washington.

Life in Louisiana

This week, a group of students from Holy Ghost School in Hammond stopped by
my Washington, D.C. office to see how Congress works. I had a chance to
spend some time with 60 eighth graders who had plenty of questions for me.

One boy asked me how many flights a week I have to take, and I told the
students how I fly back to Louisiana each and every week because that is
where my wife and kids live. I told them how important it is for me to spend
as much time in Louisiana as possible as a reminder of what I am fighting
for when I fly back to D.C. each week. I understand the importance of
getting more money for roads and infrastructure because I sit in the same
traffic jams, and I understand the importance of getting more funding for
Louisiana schools because my children go to those same schools.

None of this would be possible though without my wife. The life of a
Congressional spouse is never calm, and keeping up with our three young
children adds even more chaos to an already hectic lifestyle for my wife and
me! Recently, a local media outlet did a profile of my wife that highlights
the numerous roles she plays in life; mother, wife, engineer, and dozens of
other roles. She is such an important part of my life, and I wanted to share
the story with you. To read the entire article, click here.
<http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/viewStory.cfm?recID=17777>

Football fever in Louisiana

Watching LSU dominate Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl earlier this month was a
great experience. I have been a fan as long as I can remember. In fact, my
mom was pregnant with me when she was a student at LSU, so I like to think I
have been a fan since the womb!

Growing up in Baton Rouge, Saturdays in the fall were reserved for LSU
football, and I was fortunate enough to be able to work in the concession
stands at the games. It was a lot of hard work, but just being at the games
and part of that excitement was a great experience, especially for a high
school student. And even though we were working hard, the other students and
I would often get to watch the third quarter. Now, my kids are getting in
the spirit cheering "Geaux Tigers" whenever they see the games on
television.

This weekend, though, my wife, kids, and I will be decked out in black and
gold as we cheer on the Saints as they battle the Eagles. The Saints have
been amazing this year, and I truly believe that this will be the year that
we win the Super Bowl.

I have been a lifelong Saints fan, even through the really trying years like
the early 80s when we went 1-15. But remembering those "building" years just
helps me to appreciate the true greatness of this season. Our team has been
an inspiration to the state, and I cannot wait to see Reggie Bush, Drew
Brees, Deuce McAllister, and the other Saints in the game tomorrow.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and will join me in cheering on the
Saints! Please feel free to contact my office if we can be of any assistance
to you.

Sincerely,
Bobby