[StBernard] LRA cost me $24,000 & called to say "I was lucky."

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jan 14 17:35:58 EST 2007

Larry,

The only think I and others can figure out about the $130 psf is they are
talking about cost per square foot to rebuild. But as the lady explaiend,
it appears they take the lesser of the two values between market value
(pre-Katrina) and (let's call it) "rebuilding cost" value. The fact is
"cost" value is ALWAYS higher than market value. The only time cost value
and market value are the same is when a house is newly built.

On a separate note, I don't know where your home was located, but at 1,700
sq. ft. (I assume true living area) I find it hard to believe your home was
worth only $147,000 (pre-K market value). My home was on Veronica is a
typical early 60's Tedesco home of barely 1,000 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms, 1.5
baths and a carport. It was in excellent condition but outdated, and even I
would have been able to sell my home for good $100,000 just prior to
Katrina. And you have 700 feet more than me and I'm sure you had another
full bath and probably a bigger lot.

John Scurich