[StBernard] Help spread this and get the job done

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 16 23:21:49 EST 2007

I've responded to this and forwarded it on; hope you will, too! Carol

Dear Friends,
Last week, the Democrats launched their "100 hours" agenda--a plan to begin
a "new direction for our country." Sadly, it says nothing about the federal
government's continued abandonment of those left behind after Katrina.
A plan to bring survivors home exists. The Gulf Coast Civic Works Project
would hire 100,000 displaced residents who want to return, providing them
with training and jobs to rebuild their homes and communities. It's a
solution that would rebuild the Gulf by investing in its residents, but
Congress won't act without massive public support.
More than ever, those of us committed to justice for Katrina survivors must
make our voices heard. I've joined ColorOfChange.org in demanding that
Congress put Katrina back on the agenda and implement a plan to help
displaced residents return and rebuild. I wanted to you let about this
effort and invite you to do the same. Just click the link below:

http://www.colorofchange.org/gccw/?id=1868-136788
<http://www.colorofchange.org/gccw/?id=1868-136788>

What's being proposed is nothing new. During the Great Depression, the
federal government believed it had a responsibility to ensure that those hit
hardest did not fall through the cracks. It also knew that those Americans
wanted a hand up, not a handout. So, in 1935, Congress created a program to
hire out-of-work Americans to get things done to benefit their communities.
Within 2 weeks of launching this unprecedented project, over 800,000 people
were hired; within 2 months, 4.2 million were working to build bridges,
roads, libraries, schools and other public facilities. If we could put 4
million people to work in just 8 weeks in 1935, why can't we immediately put
100,000 people to work rebuilding the Gulf Coast?

The Gulf Coast Civic Works Project is a plan that makes sense--for displaced
survivors, for the communities of the Gulf Coast, for the nation as a whole.
It provides an opportunity to invest in Americans while reversing the most
glaring problems that plague current rebuilding plans: gentrification,
government waste, and massive corporate profiteering.

The Gulf Coast Civic Works Project is a great idea, but it can only happen
with a groundswell of public support. You can help by letting Congress know
you're behind the idea--it only takes a moment:

http://www.colorofchange.org/gccw/?id=1868-136788
<http://www.colorofchange.org/gccw/?id=1868-136788>

Thanks.