[StBernard] Barbour defends Miss. share of federal money for Katrina recovery

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 24 18:30:39 EST 2007

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi's Republican governor, Haley Barbour,
dismisses criticism from the Democratic governor of Louisiana about the role
partisanship might've played in getting federal relief to the neighboring
states since Hurricane Katrina.
Barbour told The Associated Press that Mississippi made more reasonable
requests for federal aid and is further along in distributing federally
funded recovery grants to homeowners.

"Sounds to me like Congress is getting their money's worth in Mississippi,"
Barbour said.

He said Mississippi has issued 9,902 homeowner recovery grants out of about
17,000 applications. A Web site for the "Road Home" grant program in
Louisiana says 101,657 applications have been submitted and 258 grants had
been completed by Monday. Mississippi's grant program is only for Katrina
recovery, while Louisiana's is for Katrina and Hurricane Rita.

Barbour did a brief interview with AP Tuesday, shortly before he spoke to a
group of school superintendents in Jackson for a convention.

He said he put little credence in what Michael Brown, a former director of
the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said about party politics
influencing federal decisions about the way Mississippi and Louisiana were
treated after Katrina blew ashore on Aug. 29, 2005.

"His credibility has been worn pretty thin over the last couple of years -
at least that's what Congress said about him, Democrats in Congress said
about him," Barbour said of Brown.
Brown, speaking at the Metropolitan College of New York last week, said he
recommended to President Bush that all 90,000 square miles along the Gulf
Coast affected by Katrina be federalized, but he said some White House
officials didn't want to federalize Mississippi because it has a Republican
governor.

"Unbeknownst to me, certain people in the White House were thinking, 'We had
to federalize Louisiana because she's a white, female Democratic governor
and we have a chance to rub her nose in it. We can't do it to Haley because
Haley's a white male Republican governor. And we can't do a thing to him,'"
Brown said in his speech.
Brown wouldn't say who at the White House suggested the different treatment.
The White House denied Brown's accusations.

In Baton Rouge, La., on Tuesday, Gov. Kathleen Blanco held a news conference
at the Gov.'s Mansion and said Republican leaders in Washington have slowed
aid to Louisiana and discriminated against its residents while giving
Mississippi more money proportionately than its damage from Katrina and
Hurricane Rita.

"Michael Brown has broken the code of silence about the political conspiracy
to hurt the people of Louisiana," Blanco said. "Their target was me,
obviously, but the real victims are the people of Louisiana."

Barbour and Blanco are both seeking re-election this year.

Blanco said "the Washington Republicans have consistently punished and
discriminated against our people, all for partisan political purposes. A
state with 80 percent of the storm damage from two hurricanes barely
received 50 percent of federal relief funds."

Barbour said Louisiana asked for too much federal aid after Katrina.

"When Louisiana asked the federal government to give them $250 billion just
for Louisiana, we in Mississippi realized that we had to take a responsible,
conservative, reasonable plan to Congress," Barbour said. "Our plan
requested less than $35 billion, of which we were already entitled to half
under the pre-existing law.

"We gave Congress a responsible plan and they have largely funded it," he
said. "We have received about $25 billion, and we hope to receive the
balance over the next two years."
Mississippi's senior U.S. senator, Republican Thad Cochran, was chairman of
the
Appropriations Committee when Katrina hit. He held the chairmanship until
Democrats took control this month.

Barbour was a high-profile Washington lobbyist before winning the
governorship in 2003, and served as Republican National Committee chairman
in the mid-1990s. He also built GOP connections by working as a political
director in the Reagan White House for two years in the 1980s.

Blanco wants Congress to create a bipartisan commission to review the
immediate and long-term federal response to Katrina and the follow-up blow
of Hurricane Rita in September 2005.

Barbour said he'd have no problem with the creation of a such a commission.

"Louisiana has gotten twice as much money as we have," Barbour said. "People
will tell you Louisiana has simply tried to imitate what we did. Their
homeowner grant program is based on our homeowner grant program. When we
asked for community development block grant money, they asked for community
development block grant money.

"When Congress gave us $5 billion of community development block grant
money, they turned around and gave Louisiana more than $10 billion of
community development block grant money to implement in Louisiana the
program we had developed in Mississippi."