[StBernard] More cleanup pressure proposed

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 24 18:41:58 EST 2007

More cleanup pressure proposed
Neglect would bring fines of $100 a day
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
By Karen Turni Bazile
St. Bernard/Plaquemines bureau

The St. Bernard Parish Council is poised to fine property owners $100 a day
if they don't cut their grass and secure their gutted homes' broken windows
and doors.

The fines would mount until the property is cleaned or until the parish
could seize it after fines exceed the assessed value on the tax rolls.

Some council members wanted to enact the measure Monday at an emergency
meeting, allowing officials to begin levying fines next week, saying the
neglected properties pose "an immediate health and safety hazard." But the
measure fell one vote short.

Council members Craig Taffaro, Judy Hoffmeister and Tony "Ricky" Melerine
voted for the emergency ordinance. Councilmen Lynn Dean and Mark Madary
voted against it. Council Chairman Joey DiFatta, who said he supported the
law, left the meeting before the vote and Councilman Kenny Henderson was
absent.

Despite the 3-2 favorable vote, emergency laws must be passed by a majority
of the full seven-member council.

Taffaro said he plans to reintroduce the proposal.

The measure would amend a law requiring that storm-damaged homes be gutted
and boarded. It was passed in the summer and set an Aug. 29 deadline for
securing properties.

The parish condemned nearly 6,000 properties that were not gutted since it
was enacted. Parish officials complain, however, that they are unable to
enforce the part of the law requiring owners to cut grass and close broken
windows and doors.

Hoffmeister initially balked at the plan to fine negligent homeowners, but
agreed to support the measure after she was assured that procedures would be
established for hardship exceptions.

Madary and Dean stood by their opposition, however. After the meeting,
Madary said he might ultimately support the measure if it includes a grace
period, suggesting the parish allow owners 60 days to bring their properties
into compliance.

Taffaro said such a grace period was not necessary because the ordinance
includes language giving the parish the option of forgiving fines if the
land is cleaned and the home secured.

"We just want them to clean and secure their properties," Taffaro said.
"Every day that passes, the residents who are actively maintaining their
properties or living in their homes are subjected to Third World conditions,
and springtime in Louisiana is just around the corner. We can't wait to be
in the middle of spring and summer to address this again," he said, because
the problems with rodents and mosquitoes will worsen.

"A lot of people are already broke and trying to do their best," Dean said.
"I think it is time to be a little more gracious and a little more caring
about our neighbors."

Arabi resident Luis Darte Jr. took exception. noting that since the storm
Dean lives in Houma.

"Then come to Esteban and sleep with the rats tonight," Darte said. "Come
live with the rats on Esteban Street in Arabi . . . I love my neighbors. I
don't love my neighbors' rats."

Madary said he didn't think it was fair for the parish to force residents
awaiting money from the Louisiana Recovery Authority Road Home program to
repair to their properties.

"This isn't about enforcing the permanent repair of properties. I understand
we are in a tough spot because of the delays of financial assistance people
have been promised," Taffaro said. He said the fines are a way to nudge
people to follow the law.

DiFatta agreed.

"The people who have chosen to come back are living in blighted
neighborhoods," DiFatta said. "This is what is going to be the impetus of
bringing people back home (to fix their properties), and if not, people will
pay."

Karen Turni Bazile can be reached at kturni at timespicayune.com or (504)
826-3321.

St. Bernard residents who fail to cut grass and seal broken windows would be
fined under a proposal before the Parish Council. This home is in the 3900
block of Gallo Drive. [2988805]