[StBernard] Road Home Weekly Program Update

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 24 18:46:53 EST 2007

I received my award letter and appealed the ridiculous appraisal amount of
my house. They appraised my house for $100,000. I obtained a copy of an
appraisal I had done in 2002 (when we refinanced) that showed my house
appraising at $110,000 at that time. They are supposed to use this old
appraisal and up the amount to get a correct figure for 2005. I faxed all of
the documents (20 pages) on January 4th and of course received no response.
I called the Benefits number (Option 6) but it goes directly to a voice mail
for you to leave a message. Within the span of 2 weeks I left 4 voice mail
messages and none were returned. Finally yesterday someone felt sorry for me
and transferred me to a real person. This person said that my appraisal had
been changed on the computer from $100,000 to $133,000. I was ecstatic
because my award went from almost $42,000 to over $75,000 with the new
appraisal figure. Then about an hour later I finally received a return phone
call from Road Home (from the 4 previous messages I had left). I told the
man that I had already talked to someone earlier and that everything was
fine and how my appraisal amount had been revised in the computer for
$133,000. This man said he didn't see it changed in the computer and didn't
have a clue who I may have talked to (I didn't write the first guy's name
down) but according to his records nothing had been changed. Just wonderful,
huh? So this guy made me fax him the 20 pages again and said he would scan
them in the computer and then someone would call me at a later date to
discuss. So I don't know which person was giving me correct information and
will just have to wait and see I guess.

On another note, a friend at work went to his close. He told me that within
5 days after you close they need to send you a check for 10% of your total
award amount. Then Chase Bank schedules an appointment to inspect your house
before you get any more money. (Note: His house has already been repaired.)
He also told me that Chase said you need something called a Certificate of
Occupancy (which supposedly you get from the Parish, he's in Jefferson
Parish and has not obtained it yet) before they will give you any more of
your award. Don't know how it works if you haven't started and/or finished
rebuilding or what has to be done if you are relocating.

Note to Craig, what do you believe would be the odds of current office
holders in the parish retaining their position in the next election? I have
been throwing around the idea of running for something. I grew up and raised
my children in this parish and I want to be a part of seeing our parish back
strong. I share your views on almost every issue. I plan to start attending
some of the council meeting to get a better view of things and what I would
be up against. I just don't know if heart and soul can win out over
political cronies. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Karen Fernandez