[StBernard] Leger addresses U.S. Senate Hearings

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 30 21:43:32 EST 2007

"We have not been able to sufficiently assist the most impacted parishes and
local agencies to help them grapple with the extraordinary tasks that they
now face. Simply put, many of the most hard-hit local governments and
organizations are overwhelmed, and neither we nor FEMA have all the tools we
need to help them. And many of the actions we must take in order to deliver
the assistance we need to deliver - such as housing assistance provided
through the Road Home program and infrastructure repair funding - remain
burdened by conflicting and complex Federal program requirements, rules, and
regulations that hinder our recovery." --Walter Leger.

**I'm curious. If the U.S. Governement can develop a plan during depression
(WPA-Works Progress Authority) to fulfill the needs of the nation to recover
from it's depression, why can't it develop a plan to fulfill the most
desparate need in recovery of Texas to Florida? It would be similar to
rebuilding infrasture of the time getting people back to work, redeveloping
the cities and towns decimated by the 2005 storms.

We need immediate help on a massive scale, on a project similarly that would
take one or two decades to complete perhaps if we are to preserve, conserve
and protect.

--jer--

WPA - http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/wpa/wpa_info.html