[StBernard] Many in coastal La. want out

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 30 21:44:17 EST 2007

"St. Bernard Parish President Henry "Junior" Rodriguez called the pullback
from coastal areas a "knee-jerk reaction." He predicted residents eventually
will be lured back: "People are infatuated with water. They love to be near
water." --Junior Rodriguez (The Associated Press).

**I bet if you poll the majority who were in the storm, I would say that
this "truth statement" is false. After Katrina, people have had all the
water they needed up until now. Two things reach the minds of those who
"love water". One, they love to ski, boat, camp, and collect seafood (living
or by food necessity). Secondly, if one is not subject to this statement,
they will be labeled "ignorant/stupid" or unable to comprehend safety or
perhaps risk financial ruin or increased insurances, etc.

Wanting to live in coastal areas is a risk to many. If one chooses to do so,
accepts risk as a way of life. That's because "People" also include those
under 18, the elderly and the disabled. Therefore, this statement,
"knee-jerk reaction" is premature, ludicrous and dumb.

Somehow, some of us chose to continue back as a necessity, livelihood or
unable to transplant oneself. That's a personal decision of course. So, I'll
qualify why people feel a need to continue. But, loving the "water" after
being "force-fed 10-20 feet of swamp/oil water/contamination is not an
acceptable condition for returning.

--jer--