[StBernard] True Stella Awards: 2006 Winners!

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 1 00:06:24 EST 2007

True Stella Awards #79: 31 January 2007 www.StellaAwards.com

The TRUE Stella Awards -- 2006 Runners-Up and Winner
by Randy Cassingham

Unlike the FAKE cases that have been highly circulated online for the
last several years (see http://www.StellaAwards.com/bogus.html for
details), the following cases have been researched from public sources
and are confirmed TRUE by the ONLY legitimate source for the Stella
Awards: www.StellaAwards.com . To confirm this copy is legitimate, see
http://www.StellaAwards.com/2006.html

PLEASE DO FORWARD this issue -- it's allowed so long as you send it in
its entirety. MEDIA OUTLETS: See http://www.StellaAwards.com/2006.html
*BEFORE* running the awards as that page has permission info and will
have any needed updates and corrections.

-v-

2006 Runners-Up and Winner:

#5: Marcy Meckler. While shopping at a mall, Meckler stepped outside and
was "attacked" by a squirrel that lived among the trees and bushes.
And "while frantically attempting to escape from the squirrel and
detach it from her leg, [Meckler] fell and suffered severe injuries,"
her resulting lawsuit says. That's the mall's fault, the lawsuit
claims, demanding in excess of $50,000, based on the mall's "failure
to warn" her that squirrels live outside.

#4: Ron and Kristie Simmons. The couple's 4-year-old son, Justin, was
killed in a tragic lawnmower accident in a licensed daycare facility,
and the death was clearly the result of negligence by the daycare
providers. The providers were clearly deserving of being sued, yet
when the Simmons's discovered the daycare only had $100,000 in
insurance, they dropped the case against them and instead sued the
manufacturer of the 16-year-old lawn mower because the mower didn't
have a safety device that 1) had not been invented at the time of the
mower's manufacture, and 2) no safety agency had even suggested needed
to be invented. A sympathetic jury still awarded the family $2
million.

#3: Robert Clymer. An FBI agent working a high-profile case in Las Vegas,
Clymer allegedly created a disturbance, lost the magazine from his
pistol, then crashed his pickup truck in a drunken stupor -- his
blood-alcohol level was 0.306 percent, more than three times the legal
limit for driving in Nevada. He pled guilty to drunk driving because,
his lawyer explained, "With public officials, we expect them to own up
to their mistakes and correct them." Yet Clymer had the gall to sue
the manufacturer of his pickup truck, and the dealer he bought it
from, because he "somehow lost consciousness" and the truck "somehow
produced a heavy smoke that filled the passenger cab." Yep: the drunk-
driving accident wasn't his fault, but the truck's fault. Just the
kind of guy you want carrying a gun in the name of the law.

#2: KinderStart.com. The specialty search engine says Google should be
forced to include the KinderStart site in its listings, reveal how its
"Page Rank" system works, and pay them lots of money because they're a
competitor. They claim by not being ranked higher in Google, Google is
somehow infringing KinderStart's Constitutional right to free speech.
Even if by some stretch they were a competitor of Google, why in the
world would they think it's Google's responsibility to help them
succeed? And if Google's "review" of their site is negative, wouldn't
a government court order forcing them to change it infringe on
Google's Constitutional right to free speech?

AND THE WINNER of the 2006 Stella Award: Allen Ray Heckard. Even though
Heckard is 3 inches shorter, 25 pounds lighter, and 8 years older than
former basketball star Michael Jordan, the Portland, Oregon, man says
he looks a lot like Jordan, and is often confused for him -- and thus
he deserves $52 million "for defamation and permanent injury" -- plus
$364 million in "punitive damage for emotional pain and suffering",
plus the SAME amount from Nike co-founder Phil Knight, for a grand
total of $832 million. He dropped the suit after Nike's lawyers
chatted with him, where they presumably explained how they'd counter-
sue if he pressed on.

-v-

TO CONFIRM THE VALIDITY OF THESE CASES, get more information on the True
Stella Awards, or sign up for a free e-mail subscription to new cases
as they are issued, see http://www.StellaAwards.com/2006.html

BLOGGERS AND WEB SITE OWNERS: http://www.StellaAwards.com/2006.html also
links to a pre-formatted copy you can post online.

WANT TO SEE THE FULL WRITE-UPS of all of these cases? A PDF file is
available for a small fee. See http://www.StellaAwards.com/2006.html
for info.

NOTE: If the summary doesn't state an outcome for a case, it's probably
still pending. Unlike the fantasy world of the urban legend Stella
Awards, in real life the courts are so clogged, and "justice" so slow,
that it can take many years for a case to conclude. Sorry, but there
are no pat endings in the real world. If YOU hear of an update, please
DO send us a URL so we can update our readers. Thanks.

Copyright 2007 www.StellaAwards.com . This message may be forwarded as
long as it remains complete and unaltered.

----------==========**********O**********==========----------
REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD
Want proof? Check out the ATTORNEYS HALL OF SHAME.
Been screwed over by an attorney or a judge (they are attorneys, too)?
Only family, friends and co-workers will listen to you? Not any more!
Now you can now Rant to the world about your favorite bottom feeding
shyster. Go to http://www.AttorneysHallOfShame.com to post your Rant
and induct your attorney, or just to see if he/she is already listed.
----------==========**********O**********==========----------

NOTE FROM THE AUTHOR

I'm sure quite a few people will take issue with the winner: the case
was thrown out so no harm, no foul, right? Wrong. When faced with an
actual suit for $832 million, both parties HAD to hire attorneys to fight
it, no matter how ridiculous it seemed. Do nothing, and the bozo would
win. Sure the guy would have lost had it gone to trial, but no matter:
they had to gear up a defense, and at considerable expense. Meanwhile,
legitimate cases had to wait in line that much longer while this case got
out of the way. The True Stella Awards isn't about outrageous cases that
succeed, it's about outrageous cases that are filed -- and what it says
about not just our legal system, but our society that people seem to feel
they have a right to get huge compensation for every possible slight they
feel they've been subjected to.

While the time pressures of my regular job (I write a weekly column of
weird-but-true news stories: see http://www.thisistrue.com for details)
kept me from doing as many case write-ups as I would have liked, that
doesn't mean there weren't plenty of cases to choose from. Here's just a
brief sampling of cases which were brought to my attention but I didn't
get a chance to research or write up in 2006:

-- The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs lost a laptop containing the
personal identity details of 26.5 million active and retired soldiers.
They planed to contact that huge group to alert them and give advice
on how to safeguard themselves from identity theft, but lawyers got a
court to order them NOT to do that, since that would mitigate any
possible damage to the servicemen and -women, and thus limit any
recovery for the $26.5 billion lawsuit they were preparing against the
government.

-- A couple in Minnesota didn't buckle their kid into a car seat properly
and got in an accident, and the child was injured. Even though it was
their own fault, they got their 8-year-old child to sue them so they
could get a bigger payout from their auto insurance.

-- Anyone can post an ad on the "Craigslist" web site. According to a
lawsuit filed against the site, some housing ads there are
discriminatory. Even though Craigslist doesn't review ads unless
someone reports them as inappropriate (and physically could never do
so, since there are 8 million new ads every month), the lawsuit claims
Craigslist is to blame for the discriminatory ads.

-- A convicted murderer (who was sentenced to death) claims he was
victimized by jailers during a suicide attempt, and claims the
resulting "severe mental and physical injuries" has "brought about
delirium or insanity." Only $35 million will help him through that,
though he didn't explain how he expects to take it with him to the
afterlife.

-- Cops in Milwaukee say they have to wear a uniform on the job, yet the
city doesn't pay them for the time it takes them to get dressed. They
not only demand to be paid for that time, but to get back pay for all
the time they took to get dressed in the past.

-- Family whose dog was run over doesn't sue over the property value of
the dog, but rather $1.625 million for "loss of companionship".

-- Two men trespassed in a rail yard and climbed atop the train -- an
electric train! -- and were shocked by the circuits. They sued and
were awarded $24.2 million.

And they go on and on. The most common comment/question I get from
readers is, Yes, we can see that there's a problem with lawsuits, but
what can we DO about it? I've long said the solution is complex; a band-
aid (e.g., limiting dollar damages) just won't do, and in fact could
cause more harm than good. But there IS something that society must do,
and even things we mere mortal citizens can do on an individual level.
But to really explain it needs a lot more room than I can take here.
That's where the True Stella Awards book comes in: I was given 288 pages
to not just relate the details of scores of cases, but to use those cases
to create a big picture view of the problem AND the potential solutions.
I actually took 352 pages, and the publisher allowed me to go over my
limit because they think the topic is important.

This problem needs to come out of the shadows; it needs to be
discussed; it needs to be debated in public -- a public MUCH larger than
the (as of midnight) 88,189 of you who get this newsletter. Indeed, the
book's primary purpose is to help drive that debate, with case after case
of examples of patently ridiculous lawsuits and analysis. It's all
guaranteed to make you mad, but as the first reviewer says, "the facts of
the cases are funny all by themselves." (Booklist) In other words, it's
an entertaining and fun read, not a bunch of legalese.

For more info on the book see http://www.StellaAwards.com/book.html

Last, thanks much to the sponsors who make this newsletter possible --
they pay the freight so I can send this newsletter out for no charge. I
hope you'll at least review the ONE ad that's in every issue (right after
the case descriptions above), and check out the advertiser's site if it's
of interest.

--Randy Cassingham

TO SUBSCRIBE and receive the TRUE Stella Awards by e-mail for FREE, see
http://www.StellaAwards.com
TO UNSUBSCRIBE, see the last line of this message.

YOUR COMMENTS are welcome -- send them to Comments at StellaAwards.com
Please include your first name, location and profession. Due to volume
we cannot reply to most mail, and NEVER provide legal advice. If you
have legal questions, contact an attorney.
TO SUBMIT A CASE *please* do NOT e-mail us. Instead, please use the form
on our site at http://www.StellaAwards.com/submit.html
SOURCE REFERENCES are kept up-to-date on our server as possible; the URLs
given should work as long as the articles are available online. Some
sites may require registration to view articles.

STELLA AWARDS is a project of "This is True" -- http://www.thisistrue.com
-- and is published by ThisisTrue.Inc, PO Box 666, Ridgway CO 81432
USA.

Copyright 2007 by Randy Cassingham, All Rights Reserved. ALL
broadcast, publication, retransmission to the WWW, e-mail lists, or
paper, or copying or storage, in any medium, online or not, is PROHIBITED
without PRIOR written permission. However, permission is granted to
circulate this publication via MANUAL forwarding by e-mail to friends
PROVIDING THAT the text is forwarded IN ITS ENTIRETY, from the title line
on top through the end of this paragraph, and NO FEE is charged. We
REQUEST that you forward no more than three copies to any one person --
after that, they should get their own subscription. Stella Awards is a
trademark and "This is True" is a registered trademark of THISisTRUE.Inc.