[StBernard] Street Signs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Feb 2 18:54:26 EST 2007

It could be thought common sense, that IF one gets into an accident, hurt
or otherwise, that compromised one's safety--then, it "can be argued" that
the community governments/state can be held liable. Having dangerous
intersections is one thing, but perhaps in a court of law, there would be
statements made that stop/lights or warning signs were missing thus placing
a precarious position into place. This could especially be true if a
complaint was given to the parish previously that street signs, etc. are
missing and so the government is thus warned about the non-existance. No
lawyer here, but when common sense indicates there presents an obvious
traffic hazard, and the knowledge is understood by receiving complaint
departments--a possible finding in courts for the plaintiff is possible.

Therefore: One of the first infrastructures to be restored is traffic/street
travel availability and safety after disaster.

Supporting case for this logic:
http://www.injuryboard.com/view.cfm/Article=923
2. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4181/is_20060918/ai_n16848370

Who has the right of way (who entered the intersection firstly, can also be
determined as to right or wrong, perhaps. But, yes, I believe also that
traffic signs, etc. which are set in place to help avoid accidents can also
be as equally hazardous if they are not immediately replaced upon request by
a citizen who feels that his/her life is endangered by the lack of them.

--jer--

I would like to add to this, traffic signs. I was in an accident because a
stop sign was missing. The policeman told me that this is a daily occurance.
He told me the signs are there waiting to be put up. I don't know if this is
accurate but someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed. Traffic signs
should be a priority. Thank you.

Cindy