[StBernard] Newspapers Urge Louisiana Residents to 'Speak Up'

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 6 22:41:55 EST 2007

Newspapers Urge Louisiana Residents to 'Speak Up'

Louisiana Speaks Editorial Roundup

On occasion, the LRA shares editorials or news articles related to the recovery. The following editorials from the Times-Picayune in New Orleans, The Lake Charles American Press, Lafayette Daily Advertiser and the Houma Courier & Thibodaux Daily Comet address Louisiana Speaks. To help shape South Louisiana's long-term vision, visit the Louisiana Speaks website, www.louisianaspeaks.org <http://www.louisianaspeaks.org> .

EDITORIAL: Speak up
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Times-Picayune

New Orleanians are concluding a commendable months-long planning effort in which thousands of residents helped envision how to rebuild their neighborhoods. But we are not quite done dreaming up what kind of future we want.

The Louisiana Recovery Authority is asking residents across our region to take a bird's-eye view and help identify broad priorities for all of South Louisiana. It's an effort every resident in the metro area should take to heart.

* Click here <http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-3/117074845042110.xml&coll=1> to read the full editorial.

EDITORIAL: Take advantage of Louisiana Speaks
Lake Charles American Press
Saturday, February 3, 2007

If you think you have some good ideas for Louisiana's future, you have the opportunity to get those ideas into the hands of the people who are currently planning our state's future.

Louisiana Speaks is a an effort to get citizen input for future planning of South Louisiana as it recovers from hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

* Click here <http://lra.louisiana.gov/assets/LCAPeditorial020307.pdf> to read the full editorial.

EDITORIAL: Help create a new regional vision
Lafayette Daily Advertiser
January 28, 2007

Louisiana's goals for the future must go beyond simply rebuilding those areas devastated by hurricanes Katrina and Rita. They must encompass the building of a better coastal area - and consequently, a better state - than existed before the onslaught of the storms. As citizens, by participating in the multifaceted planning process of Louisiana Speaks, we can play a role in achieving that.

Louisiana Speaks, endorsed by the Louisiana Recovery Authority, has been hard at work gathering the elements essential to planning for recovery and advancement. The organization is creating a long-term vision for South Louisiana in which the area will move beyond recovery and healing to become safer, more prosperous, cleaner and healthier.

* Click here <http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070128/OPINION01/701280358/1014> to read the full editorial.

EDITORIAL: The issue: Louisiana Speaks. We suggest: Let your voice be heard.
Houma Courier & Thibodaux Daily Comet
January 30, 2007

Louisiana Speaks is an important, ongoing effort to gauge the opinions and plans of coastal Louisianans so that planners can better know what we want over the next 10, 20 or 50 years.

It isn't a cure-all, by which state leaders hope to address coastal erosion, build flood protection and improve our roads.

But all of those things are part of the questionnaire that lies at the heart of Louisiana Speaks.

* Click here <http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/OPINION02/701300303/1030> to read the full editorial.

<http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/OPINION02/701300303/1030>

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###