[StBernard] Greetings from Our Nation's Capital: 2.6.07: An e-postcard from Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 6 22:44:01 EST 2007

Blanco's Bulletin - News from the Office of the Governor <http://gov.state.la.us/>

Today I seized an extraordinary opportunity to push
Louisiana's federal recovery agenda by addressing
a captive audience of Congressional Members who
are in a position to help us.

My first stop in Washington was a meeting of the
Democratic Caucus of the U.S. House, where I
asked Congressional leaders to help remove the
federal barriers to our recovery. The rules and
red tape set forth by the federal government simply
do not fit the size and scope of the Rita and Katrina
disasters.

Members were not only receptive to my plan, they also
committed to championing our ! cause. House Speaker
Nancy Pelosi is looking at ways to reform the Stafford
Act and help with public housing issues.
Transportation Committee Chair James Oberstarcommitted to close the MRGO and move the WRDA bill forward. We are off to a great beginning and I look forward to meeting with additional leaders this week as I move our recovery forward.
- Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco is in Washington, DC this week advancing Louisiana's federal recovery agenda. She will meet with House and Senate leaders throughout the week, urging their support of the recovery efforts in Louisiana. The Governor is sending updates to constituents back home through e-postcards.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org