[StBernard] Louisianas Women Leaders to Gather in Baton Rouge for Statewide Conference

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 13 23:47:12 EST 2007

Louisiana's women leaders to gather in Baton Rouge for statewide conference

BATON ROUGE - Women leaders from throughout Louisiana will meet in Baton Rouge Friday and Saturday, March 9 and 10, for a statewide conference and special weekend sponsored by the Louisiana Commission on Women's Policy and Research, Governor's Office on Women's Policy, Louisiana Legislative Women's Caucus and Louisiana Women's Foundation.

"I believe Louisiana's women leaders are well-suited to address today's challenges and to drive the opportunities of tomorrow." Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said. "This conference is a wonderful gathering for today's leaders and our emerging women leaders as well."

"Louisiana's Women Leaders" is a special initiative of Gov. Blanco with assistance from the Office of U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu. It began when an estimated thousand women gathered in New Orleans soon after Blanco, Louisiana's first woman governor, was inaugurated. Regional conferences were held in the years following - both before and after hurricanes Katrina and Rita - and participants focused on key areas of interest to women including: economics and employment, education and training, and health and safety.

The conference is open to the public. Advance registration is $50 and more information is available at www.la-womenspolicy.com <http://www.la-womenspolicy.com> .

"More than ever, political partnerships are critical to successfully accomplish the people's agenda. Better public policy is designed when men and women work together," Gov. Blanco said.

The Governor is scheduled to attend conference events Friday evening and Saturday morning.

This second statewide gathering features Start Your Engines, a one day economic development institute; an encore presentation of Louisiana Leading Ladies Readers Theater showcasing historical women from the 18th to the mid-20th centuries; and an issues briefing and 2007 framework for action. The framework for action results from discussions from regional conferences in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, and at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux.

Headquarters for the conference is the Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center. Events are also scheduled at the Old State Capitol just one block away in downtown Baton Rouge.

"Our regional conferences featured table talk around key topic areas of concern to women," Dr. Shanta Harrison Proctor, Executive Director, Governor's Office on Women's Policy, said. "Our 2007 framework for action issues rose from those conversations and represents both a summary and consensus among participants."

The bipartisan Legislative Women's Caucus is a sponsor of the conference and many of its members will participate in the events. This is an especially important conference for legislators as many of them are term limited and the 2007 Regular Session that convenes April 30 may be their last opportunity for policy making.

"Women's issues are people's issues. When we gather, I am always amazed how quickly we can find common ground," Phyllis E. Mayo, Special Assistant to Gov. Blanco for Women's Policy, said. "In spite of our many differences, we always agree how good it is to get together and talk about our hopes and dreams for Louisiana's future. I expect to see women who have not been to any of the previous conferences and I welcome all newcomers who I'm sure will be informed, inspired, challenged and motivated by this weekend in the Capital City."

The weekend includes additional programming options for women that are sponsored by the Louisiana Center for Women and Government at Nicholls State University. These events require separate registration and more information is available at lcwg.info at nicholls.edu. The first is a political campaign school that will be held on Friday, March 9. Saturday a 2007 Hall of Fame Luncheon honors Louisiana women with Kansas Governor Kathleen Sibelius serving as keynote speaker.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org