[StBernard] trailers and storms

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Feb 13 23:52:47 EST 2007

Seeing all pictures of those FEMA trailers that were destroyed this morning
reminds me to once again
plead that no one think a trailer is a substitute for a home. Granted, many
homes were destroyed. But
people were needlessly hurt by trailers that toppled. I thought about the
person who wrote on this site
last month that her very elderly relative was in a trailer on her front lawn
and she wanted to keep it that way.
I hope someone invited that lady into a home when the warnings went out that
severe weather would be coming. One trailer flew from a neighborhood into
the Industrial Canal. Thank goodness none of the large
FEMA trailer parks with hundreds of people in them were in the path. The
first time a tornado came near our
FEMA trailer in Jefferson, it touched down a few miles away. While it was
too late to do anything, but stay in
the trailer, Dawn Brown on WWL was announcing that night that FEMA said to
get out of the trailers and lie face down in a ditch, but somehow I reasoned
that I'd rather be found dead in a trailer, than drowned in the ditch full
of water next to the trailer!

ddk