[StBernard] Congress Acts on Governor Blanco's Agenda; Introduces Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Reli

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 15 23:00:04 EST 2007

Congress Acts on Governor Blanco's Agenda
Introduces Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Relief Act

BATON ROUGE, LA: Today, leaders of the U.S. House of Representatives moved two key components of Governor Blanco's agenda forward. Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC) introduced the Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Federal Match Relief Act of 2007 to help expedite Louisiana's recovery. First, this legislation waives a provision of the Stafford Act which requires a 25% non-federal cost share for certain disaster assistance. Second, Clyburn's bill allows for cancellation of the required repayment of the Community Disaster Loans, granting Louisiana's cities and parishes an opportunity for the same forgiveness that other states received after 9/11, Hurricane Andrew, Hurricane Iniki and other disasters.

Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco:

"Today, the new House Leadership honored its commitment to me to prioritize Louisiana's recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Legislation introduced today takes the next step to provide financial relief and forgiveness to local and state governments that will help to expedite our recovery. This legislation will allow us to more efficiently and effectively utilize federal disaster resources.

"Today's action shows that the 110th Congress is serious about recovery, and prepared to not only talk the talk, but walk the walk. Within four days of my return to Louisiana, the new Leadership has taken a strong step to make good on its promises. This important recovery bill has been introduced, and I now call on Congress to waste no time in passing this legislation.

"I also received assurances that the new Leadership will continue to move key items on my recovery agenda, including authoring 100% federal cost-share for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I expect this bill to also move in the coming weeks, an action that will free up over $700 million for crucial infrastructure investments.

"I stand ready to work with Louisiana's delegation and the new Leadership to secure passage of all of the items on the recovery agenda I presented to Congress. Congress has my gratitude for today's action, and I look forward to continued progress on a strong Gulf Coast recovery."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org