[StBernard] FINES, NOT SO FINE?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 17 01:33:04 EST 2007

I continue to read people talk like this, see below and I can't understand
it. I am okay with each person making the best decision for their family
but what I don't understand is how for some reason its unsafe to live in St.

Bernard currently, if it is now then it was before so it makes no sense
whatsoever. I have been back for 13 months now, I see progress everyday and

also see my kids smile when they go to school with the kids they are used to

going with, their friends. Now I like to think of myself as a good father
and my kids would not be here if it wasn't safe or if I thought it was
unsafe. Again in 13 months they have not been sick at all, when I say sick
like major illness or flu etc. Sure they have had an occasional runny nose
because they go to school with 1,700 other kids but that is everywhere
including where you live now.

I can't stand that some misconception is keeping good people from coming
back to St. Bernard Parish but I guess there is no way to calm fears that
some people have. All I know is that being down here I can tell more and
more people are either convinced the parish is safe to live in or they are
tired of living where they were. Plenty of former St. Bernard Parish
children are tired of attending school elsewhere too so that will bring
people back soon.

Again I am fine with others having their own opinion on their families
safety but I just feel they have bad information. This parish is coming
back and I just wish people that wanted to be here were not coming back
because of false information.

Chad

Wrench and/or Jer:

My husband and I share your feelings. And, my 14 year old daughter is
devastated that we did not return to rebuild in the parish. All she can see
is that her friends have returned to the place where she was born and grew
up and she wants to be there too.

My heart breaks for her --- but I won't change my mind based on that. I'd
rather her despise our relocation than to risk her health and safety. I too
am praying for the best -- I love the parish and thought we'd retire and
spend the rest of our days there. But not like this. At 50, ten years or
so is significant. Good luck to you.